How to Reset the Check Engine Light on a RAM 1500
The Ram 1500 provides drivers with the performance, amenities, and features that any truck enthusiast would want. However, there may come a time when this vehicle’s check engine light will pop up on your dashboard. This can be frustrating for many drivers, but is a straightforward fix.
In order to reset a RAM 1500 check engine light, you will need to:
- Remove the negative cable from your battery
- Wait 20 minutes
- Reconnect the negative cable
The steps mentioned above will reset your computer. If you drive an older used vehicle, you may need to drive it for about 50 miles to recalibrate the system after resetting the computer. Read the guide below from the Tyson Motor Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram service team to learn more about the reasons why your RAM 1500 check engine light may have come on in the first place.
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
Knowing why your check engine light is on can save you thousands of dollars in service costs. When your RAM 1500 check engine light comes on, take the following steps to determine the cause:
- Verify: Consult your owner’s manual to make sure that the RAM 1500 check engine light is on, rather than another warning light.
- Gas Cap: The most common reason that a check engine light comes on is because of a loose gas cap. Make sure that the gas cap is sealed tightly. Then disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and the check engine light should turn off.
- Error Codes: Naperville-area drivers with auto service experience may want to use an automotive diagnostic scanner to help pinpoint the error that is causing the RAM 1500 check engine light to appear. However, if the error seems too complicated, feel free to schedule service with a certified RAM service technician right here at Tyson Motor Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram!
Schedule Professional RAM Service in Shorewood
Now that you have learned how to reset the check engine light on RAM 1500, stop by our dealership near Plainfield for the rest of your service inquiries. Our technicians will help you take advantage of service specials and will give you pro tips to keep your vehicle in pristine condition. Contact us today to schedule your service appointment!
More from Tyson Motor Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
Trying to find a vehicle that can get you from point A to point B efficiently is not an easy task. But with the 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you can do just that! The Jeep Grand Cherokee’s fuel economy is something to behold, so when you invest in this vehicle, you can drive with confidence…
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has long been known for its luxurious interior, high-end technology features, and powerful engine. But if you’re hoping to take the family on a road trip, you’re probably asking, “How much can the Grand Cherokee tow?” When properly configured, the 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee towing capacity can reach up to 7,200…
The RAM 1500 remains a celebrated work truck in Joliet and practically everywhere else. And while its impressive performance specs are worth noting, the 2024 RAM 1500 interior is also something to talk about. Learn all about this spacious and amenity-laden interior today, including what to expect from the RAM 1500 passenger volume. If you…