How to Reset the Check Engine Light on a RAM 1500
The Ram 1500 provides drivers with the performance, amenities, and features that any truck enthusiast would want. However, there may come a time when this vehicle’s check engine light will pop up on your dashboard. This can be frustrating for many drivers, but is a straightforward fix.
In order to reset a RAM 1500 check engine light, you will need to:
- Remove the negative cable from your battery
- Wait 20 minutes
- Reconnect the negative cable
The steps mentioned above will reset your computer. If you drive an older used vehicle, you may need to drive it for about 50 miles to recalibrate the system after resetting the computer. Read the guide below from the Tyson Motor Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram service team to learn more about the reasons why your RAM 1500 check engine light may have come on in the first place.
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
Knowing why your check engine light is on can save you thousands of dollars in service costs. When your RAM 1500 check engine light comes on, take the following steps to determine the cause:
- Verify: Consult your owner’s manual to make sure that the RAM 1500 check engine light is on, rather than another warning light.
- Gas Cap: The most common reason that a check engine light comes on is because of a loose gas cap. Make sure that the gas cap is sealed tightly. Then disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and the check engine light should turn off.
- Error Codes: Naperville-area drivers with auto service experience may want to use an automotive diagnostic scanner to help pinpoint the error that is causing the RAM 1500 check engine light to appear. However, if the error seems too complicated, feel free to schedule service with a certified RAM service technician right here at Tyson Motor Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram!
Schedule Professional RAM Service in Shorewood
Now that you have learned how to reset the check engine light on RAM 1500, stop by our dealership near Yorkville for the rest of your service inquiries. Our technicians will help you take advantage of service specials and will give you pro tips to keep your vehicle in pristine condition. Contact us today to schedule your service appointment!
More from Tyson Motor Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
If towing and hauling tasks are a part of your every day in Joliet and Naperville, then there’s a lot you need to know about vehicle weight and cargo capacity before you buy your next truck. How much does the RAM 1500 weigh, and which configuration can easily take care of your cargo? Find out…
The singular look and sound of a Dodge Charger will never go unnoticed in Joliet, but you also have boundless opportunities to craft a custom interior that suits your taste! The Dodge Charger interior colors and materials range from cloth and Nappa leather sport seats on the base trim—to beautiful two-tone Nappa leather and Alcantara…
One might think that the towing capabilities of a compact SUV can’t match that of a larger model—but the Jeep Compass is sure to impress Yorkville-area adventurers in this regard! With a 2,000-pound towing capacity, the Jeep Compass has enough power to get you and your gear wherever you want to go. Keep reading…